Monday, October 10, 2011

4 ladies, 1 man, 2 dogs and a baby. Oh, and the best shrimp salad I've ever had.

Last month we drove down over to my mom's house in Missssssisssssippi to surprise her with a 60th birthday party. She doesn't "do" birthday's well, but I do. So, I felt it necessary to invite my favorite friends and family over for a shrimp boil. I'll post more on that later, but wanted to share the absolute best shrimp salad I've ever had with you.

We had a ton of skrimp left over from the Thursday night hoopla-shindig, so we put our heads together, went to allrecipes.com and found a keeper. CLICK ME FOR THE RECIPE

The recipe called for green onions, but we decided to be bold and try a leek, which none of us had ever cooked before and after cleaning its dirty self up, I was shocked at how easy this little crunchy goodness is to toss in a dish and take it from 4 star, to 5. I love a good leek! Who knew!
Next came my favorite herb in all of the land...this bunch probably came from some far away land where they use child labor and enough pesticides to poison the world, but I wasn't home and had to make do with the Walmarts produce.
We chopped up some surprisingly good tomatoes...too bad tomato days are over for a while.
Notice how long and lovely my Aunt Jilly's nails are. Looks like a Rachael Ray Furi commercial.

We started dumping it all together, with a red, yellow and green bell pepper. Added a diced jalapeno and a little cayenne peppa. (I just cringed as I typed that...made me think of the Neely's...ugh.)
Opened up some perfectly ripe avocados, diced and dumped them.
And then tossed it all with the juice from 2 limes. Added some salt and pepper and it was INSANE IN THE MEMBRANE good! I realize this isn't a fall recipe, but I guess I'm just not ready to let go of warm weather. Yes I am, nevermind.


By the way, I feel it necessary to show our tower o phones...
RIP Steve Jobs.

And in honor of Fall, here is the pork tenderloin I grilled to go along with our tasty Avocado, Lime, Cilantro, Leek, Pepper, fantastic o rama salad.

And, our newest addition of the family...Zelda. She belongs to my sous chef, and most fun Ole Miss chick I know...SJ.

Sous Chef Sarah:

No comments: