Thursday, July 1, 2010

Quite possibly the best pesto on the planet

I like pesto. You know, the usual green slimy pesto. It might not be pretty, but it tastes good. This pesto blows that pesto out of the water! It is fantastic. I was a little nervous that it would be good, not great, but I was wrong. I was actually licking it off the spoon like it was cake batter.

I got the idea from Sunny Anderson's recipe found here. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but pesto is actually hard to mess up and I NEVER follow a recipe to a T, so I tweaked this roasted garlic pesto recipe and made it my own. I take 100% credit for it. Its dang good.

I'm sure you  noticed right away that the color is red, not green. That is due to these bad boys:
I hit up the Wednesday night neighborhood farmers market yesterday and picked up a ton of bright red, cherry tomatoes. I coated them in olive oil, salt and pepper, and baked them in the oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Along side the tomatoes, I peeled a head of garlic and covered the cloves in olive oil, covered with foil and baked for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
Once you take both the garlic and tomatoes out of the oven, don't toss the oil. You will be using the tomato oil in the pesto, and saving the garlic oil for later. Garlic infused olive oil is better than skinny  jeans. Well, almost.

Pour the tomatoes, oil and all in a blender, along with the garlic.
Add a large handful of fresh basil, 1/3 cup (or more if you like the crunch) of pine nuts, a big handful of parsley, and a handful or two of Parmesan cheese AND Romano cheese.
Add a little salt, not much do to the salt already in the tomatoes and cheese, and a good bit of pepper. Pulse for a few seconds and voila:
I promise this is the best pesto I have ever had. I have big plans for this sauce, well, I have big plans of making a ton of it and freezing it. My husband and I ate this batch right up on a homemade pizza last night. MUST MAKE MORE.

After dinner and if she lived closer, I'd have to have a yummy cookie from my friend Shannon, aka The Cookie Mama. Her cookies are the cutest I've ever seen! Check her blog out here! We went to high school together in Mississippi and have recently found each others blogs.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

This recipe sounds oh-so-yummy! I may have to try it out!! Lucy would be eating those tomatoes like candy...she loves all things good for her =) Now Macy...that's another story...she's just like her Daddy!

Thank you for the sweet shout-out!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I luv, luv pesto~ I will be giving this a try when I get back home to my basil and maters. In the mean time... come join the linky party so I can find it back again.

Velva said...

Misty, this pesto looks amazing. I can imagine the intense flavor. I have to try this recipe.

I have traditional basil pesto that I made and have it frozen for use during the year. If I can resist eating it all up, your recipe is going to be made in a batch too.

Are you in nesting mode yet? Cooking and freezing like a mad woman? Hope all is well.

smerylb1 said...

My two favorite things, tomato and garlic! I will have to try this one for sure. This sounds fabulous! Let me know the next time you make that pizza. You might have a surprise dinner guest!

Velva said...

Misty, I made your pesto and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Sinful Southern Sweets said...

Mmmm, very nice. I'm really loving the color! Can't wait to try it!