Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Flank Steak and Melted Havarti Sandwiches

 Before I even begin with this recipe, it is important to notice the ooey, gooey Havarti cheese melting off the sides of the bun. I'm going to pause for a moment of silence.

Ok, I'm ready now.

I have blogged about  my love for flank steak before, so I won't go into great detail, but if you are looking for a good cut of meat that isn't expensive, flank steak is your friend. A couple things to remember: even though flank steak is somewhat lean, it is a tougher cut of meat that really tenderizes if you make a good marinade. If only you had a REALLY good marinade:
 



A REALLY Good Marinade:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt

What to do:
Score the surface of the steak with 1/4 inch deep knife cuts, about an inch apart, across the grain of the meat. Combine the marinade ingredients. Place steak and marinade ingredients in a large freezer bag. Coat the steak well with the marinade. Seal the bag and place in a bowl. Chill and marinate for at least 2 hours and up to overnight.

Take the steak out of the marinade bag and sprinkle generously on all sides with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. The salt and pepper will help form a savory crust on the steak. Place steak on the hot grill. If you are using a gas grill, cover the grill. Grill for 4-6 minutes on each side. Half way through grilling on each side, turn the steak 90° so that you get more grill marks.
i usually order my steaks medium, but I never grill flank steaks past medium rare. It melts in your mouth if cooked a little on the pink side. It is also important to that you make very thin slices, against the grain, and at a slight diagonal so that the slices are wide.

Its fantastic as is, but put it between a homemade roll with melted Havarti and red onion.
I served it with a baked sweet potato and a spring salad with buttermilk ranch.
It was tasty.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

YUM-O! Thanks for the marinade recipe! My hubs is a huge steak/meat/grill fan and I think he will love this! :)

Katie said...

Wow! That sounds awesome! We are flank steak (and just about every other kind of steak) eaters, and that sound delicious!

Kim said...

Hey Misty!! I've missed reading your posts too. Congratulations on the baby:D That is the most wonderful news and I am so happy for you and your husband.
How did you know I've been craving a tasty steak sandwich? I'll be right down for mine. Save some of that melty gooey cheese for me!
P.S. Trisha Yearwood's book is awesome. The pictures are awesome and it is easily one of my favorite books right now. I did a book review on it last week. You should definitely buy it if you get the chance.

Velva said...

That is a really good marinade. I will be saving this one. Love flank steak too. Another cut of beef that is really good is the hangar steak-oh my.

Like Kim, I really do miss your posts too.

Hope you are feeling well.

Leslie said...

I have never taste havarti before..but I DID buy some the other day at the store! This looks like the perfect way to try it!

Julie said...

Yeah, that melty cheese has me drooling over here....yum!

Val said...

I would love this right now!! Very nice blog.