Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spicy Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Chicken Tacos

I've really been trying to eat my veggies, however being pregnant, all I want to eat is mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese and Chick Filet. Due to my carbohydrate crave-fest, as well as the home renovations we've got going on, the husband and I have done something we are ashamed of, we've been eating out! Well, now that I'm in my second trimester, I've regained loads of energy and am not near as tired as I was over the last 3 1/2 months. So, here is to me cooking again! I raise my glass of apple juice to my blog friends and toast to yet another tasty Mexican meal my Meals by Misty!

For the chicken:
I boiled 3 chicken breasts in about 6 cups of salted water. Next, I shredded the chicken, drained all but 3 cups of the broth, put the chicken back in the pot and added: 3 tbl cumin, 2 tsp black pepper, 3 chopped chipotle in adobo sauce, 2 garlic cloves, minced, a few dashes of Chalula hot sauce and squeezed half a lime in as well. I mixed in about a cup of black beans and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. Put the lid on and move on to the sour cream. The longer the chicken simmers in the pot (med temperature) the better it will taste.


For the sour cream:
1 cup sour cream, 1/2 fresh lime juice, a few dashes of cayenne pepper, and 1 tsp of cumin. Mix together and chill.

For the sweet potatoes:
Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Dice 2 sweet potatoes into 1-2 inch cubes. Place them on a foil lined cookie sheet and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. If you love cumin as much as I do, add about a teaspoon onto your potatoes. I love how the smokey cumin cuts the sweetness of the potatoes. I sliced up a Spanish onion and layered it in with my potatoes. Pop them in your oven until tender, about 30-40 minutes.

Next up, the fun part! Making the tacos! Start with a small flour tortilla.
Add the sour cream mixture and the sweet potato mixture.
Layer the chicken, extra black beans, cilantro and red onion.
Now, DIG IN!
Cheers :)

5 comments:

Willoughby said...

Gotta love those pregnancy cravings! My main issue when I was pregnant with my first was aversions. I couldn't stand the sight, taste or smell of chicken. Weird, because I usually love chicken.

The tacos look fantastic! I love that you added the sweet potato. Sounds delcious!!!

Haven and Home said...

Your blog is dangerous!!!! I always want what you cook. Don't know how on earth I am so out of the loop but CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH on the BABY!!!!!!!!!!

xx,

Marianne

Velva said...

Cheers to you Misty! The tacos look fabulous. I really like it. I may need to attempt your recipe too.

Kim said...

I didn't know you were expecting! A Big Congrats to you and your husband! These taco look delicious. I love the uniqueness of this recipe.

Live.Love.Eat said...

We love Mexican and tacos stuffed with goodness. Gotta try them with sweet potatoes. That will be a first for me.