Monday, January 25, 2010

Yumo-Panko

I've been promising some healthier alternatives to some of our most desired foods and what better way to start than one of the most guilty pleasures of all, FRIED CHICKEN. We all know everything fried tastes so good going down, but the guilt that comes with it, might leave you less than satisfied. 

On the menu for tonight: Panko Crusted Chicken Breasts with Whole Wheat Penne tossed with a Fire Roasted Tomato and Cream Cheese Sauce, Served with a Side Salad.

Ingredients:

For the chicken:
2 chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded thin
1 cup Panko bread crumbs (can be found with the regular bread crumbs)
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
a dash or two of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper
extra virgin olive oil

For the pasta:
1 box whole wheat penne pasta
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon fresh parsley
1 tablespoon Weight Watchers cream cheese (or any low fat cream cheese)
salt and pepper


This recipe is really easy. I almost feel guilty blogging about it but it was so tasty! After pounding out my chicken breasts, I dredged them in the olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper. Next, on a separate plate, I tossed the panko with the other herbs and spices and coated the chicken breasts heavily with the bread-crumb mixture.

I sauteed the chicken in a nonstick pan for about 4-5 minutes on each side. It was easy to know when they were ready. The bread crumbs turn golden brown, letting you know its time to turn. The smell is already fantastic!


Once the chicken was finished browning, I rested them on a paper towel while I prepared the pasta. I cooked the pasta according to the back of the box and heated the fire roasted tomatoes with the herbs and spices.  I added about a tablespoon on weight watchers cream cheese in, which really thickened the sauce and gave it a smooth, rich flavor.


 
I tossed the pasta with the sauce and since I am a heat lover, I added a few shakes of my favorite hot sauce.


I serve the chicken on top of the pasta alongside a spring mix salad with fresh organic veggies and a lemon vinaigrette. 

It was good!

10 comments:

Amanda said...

This looks delish!!!

Kim said...

You're back :D I love panko, don't you? It's some good stuff! Love your idea of putting in some cream cheese to the pasta sauce. I will try that sometime soon. I missed ya!

Willoughby said...

This meal is going directly into my recipe file!!

Kim said...

Hi again! I left you an award over on my site:D

Fresh Local and Best said...

I love panko too! This looks very good!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I LOVE what adding a little cream cheese does to the pasta since I am not a huge fan of regular red. This looks awesome and I do love me some panko.

paula said...

looks delicious.

Velva said...

That is a simply wonderful weeknight meal. It is healthy, fast to prepare and delicious.

By the way, I almost exclusively use panko bread crumb these days, They have a lighter texture and produce more crispy results.

Yea! You are back.

The Wife said...

This looks great! I really like your blog :)

Blasé said...

so much Food, so little time...