Saturday, December 5, 2009

This Jambalaya is good...I Garontee!

Mardi Gras isn't so far away...



In honor of a few of my ragin Cajun friends and the snow that fell on Alabama last night, I decided to whip up a big pot of Chicken Jambalaya. For all you football fans out there, I have to say, it sure is nice watching Alabama beat Florida (I do love Tebow, but not as much as Julio) all while enjoying some yummy Cajun food!
 

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups sausage, cut into slices
2 bay leaves
2 1/2 cups chicken (I use boneless chicken breasts, but you could save time with a store bought rotissere chicken)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1-2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
A shake or two of red pepper flakes
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow pepper, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups celery, finely chopped
1 large can of diced tomatoes
1 carton of chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
Hot Sauce
Cajun Seasoning

Heat your oil in a large Dutch oven on medium heat and add your sausage. I try and keep it somewhat healthy so I use turkey sausage. The best one I've found is Smithfield's. I can't tell a difference.


After the sausage turns dark in color and begins to crisp, take the sausage out of the Dutch oven and let it hang out on a paper towel. Return the pot to medium high heat and brown your chicken, along with the herbs and salt and pepper. (If you are a fan of Cajun seasoning, go to town here! I like things hot and spicy, so I add a few shakes of my favorite Cajun spice) When your chicken is brown and well seasoned, remove it from the pot and let it rest while we move on to the colorful part of the dish.




Add the vegetables to the pot and let them hang out until they are a nice golden brown color. Add the tomatoes and bay leaves.

Add your chicken and sausage back to the pot and cover it up.

 I think the longer it simmers, the better it tastes. Try and let it simmer a good hour, if not longer. Surely you have some errands to run. Oh, I know, go to the gym and get a good workout in. Haha, right??

This is when I like to add my secret weapon.

My in-laws live in Mobile and were sweet enough to get me hooked on this stuff. I think it was all a big plot to get me to make the 4 hour trip to see them more often, but hey,  it worked! This is the best hot sauce I've ever tasted and I am a hot sauce connoisseur. Its from my favorite restaurant, Wintzell's. They have the best oysters! You really should check out this sauce:  buy it here.

Add in the rice and watch how the pot thickens! (not the plot, the pot)


Toast up a few pieces of garlic bread and SHAZAM!


 Bon Appetit.


10 comments:

Willoughby said...

If I had seen this before I started dinner in the crockpot, I would have made this tonight! It looks amazing and I've been searching for a really good jambalaya recipe. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try this!!!

Velva said...

Misty, your chicken jambalaya looks fabulous! Another good recipe to try :-)

We are a huge Gator family and we were crying last night. It was painful! We knew it would be close but did not expect to get our butts handed to us. We will be cheering Alabama on in the Title game.

Amanda said...

This looks delicious!!! Thanks for your comments. My husband is from Fulton, MS, which is about 30 minutes away from Tupelo, MS. We just moved from Jackson, MS this June and live in Nashville now.

I love seeing all of your recipes!

Kerstin said...

Thanks for checking out my blog! Yours is super cute! I just saved this recipe and can't wait to try it. I've been looking for a jambalaya ever since I was in New Orleans for work last April!

Luigi said...

I will have to give this a go, one of my favourites..

Fresh Local and Best said...

This jambalaya looks so wonderfully meaty and smoky. Yummy!

Aggiew said...

Oh how I would love this! I love me some Cajun food!!

I know you must be happy seeing your team win, I must admit, it was a heartbreaker for us!! :)

Thanks so much for visiting my blog!

Kim said...

I love jambalaya and it looks delicious Misty! This is just the thing to eat when it starts to get cold outside. I can't believe that you all actually got snow.

Southern Aspirations said...

oh that looks amazing! Cajun is one I've not mastered, but I really love a good dish! Thank you!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Love me some jambalaya. And I am totally diggin' that hot sauce bottle. I love stuff like that. I want a shelf in my kitchen for just cool bottles and jars of stuff.

Thanks for your visit recently.