Friday, December 18, 2009

Souped up Taco Soup.


I catered a couples baby shower last week and they wanted Taco Soup...so that is exactly what they got. But it was a "SOUPED" up version of the original "Santa fe" soup we all have come to know and love.

First, brown a pound or two, depending on how much soup you want to make, or how meaty you want it, with a chopped up red onion.

Add a large can of diced tomatoes, undrained.


Drain 1 can of kidney beans, 2 cans of whole kernel corn, and 2 cans of black beans and mix it all together.

Now for the fun part. Welcome to flavor town. I like to add the following:
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbl dried oregano
1 tbl chili powder
2 teas salt
1 tbl black pepper
Hot Sauce (you decide how much, don't be scared)
1 ranch dressing packet

Ok, now this is another added extra I decided to whip out of my pocket. I had some sour cream and a brand new box of the smooth, creamy melt with a distinctive taste that has been a classic since 1928:




This was odd for me because I NEVER use velveeeeeta. I thought what they hay, and went with it. I diced up 2 pounds of this creamy delight and melted it in the pot, along with 1 cup of sour cream.

I'm glad I did because it was FAN-Flippin-TASTIC!
**On a side note: I am a huge sucker for different hot sauces and I wanted to fill you in on a new one I found at the farmers market a few months ago. Its called Gator Sauce and its great.



I added about 3/4 a bottle, which sounds like a lot, but it wasn't. This hot sauce isn't as hot as some of the standard hot sauces. Order here: not there, HERE!
One last shot:

9 comments:

Kim said...

That is one delicious looking bowl of soup. I bet it was even more delicious the next day (if it lasted that long)!!

Velva said...

Misty, the taco soup looks wonderful. I gotta tell you if you use Gator hot sauce...that makes you a Florida Gator fan with or without Tebow :-)
Funny, you mention Velveeeta cheese. Like you, it was only this year that I used it for the first time to make mac n' cheese. I was pleasantly surprised at it's versatility.

Lauren said...

This looks soooo yummy! I'm definitely going to try your recipe over the holidays! I'll let you know IF it turns out! Thanks so much....I hope, hope mine turns out!

Haven and Home said...

Love taco soup! This looks great!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Love your additions to the soup!!!!! And we love hot sauce 'round these here parts too! :)

Marry Christmas. Your menu sounds wonderful too!

Luigi said...

Looks stunning, I could eat that, this very second. Great recipe.

Katerina said...

Ranch dressing? That's interesting!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Just popping in to wish you a Merry Christmas!

Aux délices des gourmets said...

un plat savoureux joyeux noël et bonne fête de fin d'année
à bientôt