Thursday, November 19, 2009

Goodness Gracious Great Balls of ...

RED VELVET CAKE
Its hard to say whether or not I'm happy about my new obsession. I stumbled on a recipe at Bakerella's site for red velvet cake balls. I'm not a big sweet eater, nor do I consider myself a good baker...heck, I don't like to measure and rumor has it, measuring is key in baking. However, when I saw how dang cute these cake poppers were, it was love at first ball.


 The whole process isn't a hard one, but its definitely time consuming. Last night I made 90 of them and it took me about half a day. Ok, let me stop for just a second. I feel it is important to lay it all out on the line. I used a boxed cake mix. There I said it. I'm not sure if baking etiquette allows that, but I don't regret it. I figure baking a cake from a box is a lot like drinking wine from a box. You might do it, you probably enjoy it, you don't however, talk about it. 

Ok, back to the balls. I made the cake just like the box said. Then, I let it completely cool which took about an hour. Then, I crumbled the cake up into a large bowl.

Then comes the icing. Yes, it was store bought. So what :) I forked a tub of cream cheese icing into the bowl and mashed it up, treating it like meat for a meatloaf. I even got my hands messy. Afterward, I plastic wrapped the top, and popped it in the fridge for another hour or two. After it chilled, I used my  hands and rolled quarter size balls. 1 cake made  45 balls. DOH...I forgot to take a picture of the rolled up balls!

I melted chocolate bark, which is quite hard to find, and using a spoon, I rolled the cake balls into the chocolate.






Tada!





Thank you Joey for being my  hand model.

7 comments:

Velva said...

This is impressive. Great idea for a dessert with your Meals by Misty business.
I love to cook but, have difficulty with baking. I think it has something to do with not following directions well :-)

Willoughby said...

You did a fantastic job! They look great!

Fresh Local and Best said...

My gosh! Look how lipstick red that cake batter is! Sensational! And what a deliciously great idea it is to cover the cake with chocolate. It's like a red velvet cake chocolate bon bon! Beautiful!

Kim said...

Love at first ball - LOL!! I loved it when you referred to boxed cake mix like boxed wines. Everyone enjoys it, but no one talks about it! That was a real hoot! This would be a fantastic idea for your business. I think there would be a great profit margin with them! They look so precious and I would just love to pop several right into my mouth;D
I love your balls!!!

FoodFitnessFreshair said...

These look delicious! I love the pictures!

Kelly said...

DELICIOUS!!! Everyone I talked to that tried them at the office RAVED about them. Y.U.M.!!!

Donna said...

These look lovely, I think theyd be the perfect addition for a holiday tray.