Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Date Night and the Best Salad I've Ever Had


The husband and I had a relaxing night at home last night and sat around the fire pit discussing all of our future Holiday traveling plans. Dinner was very easy, steaks on the grill and crunchy walnut salad with homemade Asian Vinaigrette. The dinner and the company were perfection!
This salad dressing, along with the toasted walnuts and Ramen noodles, rocks! My mom makes a dressing like this for our Holiday get-togethers and I tend to forget about it over the year. I won't forget about this baby again!



For the dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
4 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

For the crunch:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2-1 cup walnuts
1 package oriental Ramen noodles (I must mention these things only cost 22 cents)

In a medium size skillet, melt half the butter and toast the Ramen noodles. Once they turn a darker brown (don't burn them) add the seasoning packet. Once golden in color, rest them on a paper towel. Add the rest of the butter and toast the walnuts for a few minutes or until dark gold in color.




 

For the salad:
Romaine lettuce
Fresh broccoli
Red bell pepper
Red onion 
Cherry tomatoes
Strawberry slices


Add the lettuce and the veggies, then the walnuts and Ramen noodles. Last but not least, give the dressing a big shake and then pour it on. Give it a good toss and dig in!







10 comments:

smerylb1 said...

This salad was a big hit at Bunko the other night too! It made for a perfect combo with the poppy seed chicken too! Thanks so much for catering the party! I can't wait to taste the food you cook up for our Christmas Party!

JMW said...

That sounds delicious! I may have to try that over the long holiday weekend.

Lauren said...

This salad sounds delish! Your cucumber, red onion and tomato salad inspired me, so I am creating a varying version tonight. I'll blog about it IF it turns out! :)

Kim said...

I love the sound of this salad - it really looks delicious! So colorful!! I hope you have a great Thanksgiving and safe travels :D

Willoughby said...

This looks really good! My 16 year old son is crazy about ramen noodles, maybe he would eat more salad if I made this!

Velva said...

That salad dressing does rock! I am saving this recipe. It's great to enjoy a relaxing meal at home.

P.S. I have bought the ingredients to make your pepper steak.

P.S.S. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Fresh Local and Best said...

This salad looks scrumptious! I hope you and your family has a great Thanksgiving!

Laura [What I Like] said...

Looks so fabulous! The salad of course, but also that gorgeous meat! I am a firm believer that steak on date night makes for a truly excellent evening.

Aggie said...

Oh YUM! I love the toasted ramen!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I love ramen noodles. And I am jealous you started a business doing what you love. I have been thinking hard about that lately.

Maybe one day I can pick your brain, after the holidays?