Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Brrrrr....its Chili out!

When football season arrives, so does Misty's chili season. There is something amazing about how football, chili and cool weather go hand in hand. I consider my chili to be the greatest chili in the world. It is! Really! My husband told me so!


I enter a Super Bowl chili contest each year and the first year I decided to go all out and simmer a roast in the crock pot all night. I shredded it and added it to the chili pot. Needless to say, Meals by Misty took first place!

I also add black beans and a ton of cumin. I receive so many orders for  my chili! I really think I could make this dish blindfolded and drunk. :)

10/24/09: ATTENTION: I made 2 batches of my chili yesterday and decided to write things down. Now, I don't measure. I never have. I did the best I could at including measurements on the recipe. Don't throw me  under a bus if you have to add more seasoning.
Enjoy:

Meals by Misty’s Meaty Chili

2 lbs ground beef ( I use ground sirloin)
1 medium size roast
1/3 cup Dales steak sauce
2 tbl butter
1 large onion (red)
1 bell pepper (red)
1 bell pepper (green)
2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
2 cans diced tomatoes (15 oz)
1 can rotel
1 carton beef stock
2 tbl ground cumin
1 tbl dried oregano
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbl chili powder
2 cans black beans
1 can chili beans
Hot Sauce ( I use Cholula and I use a lot)
2 tsp salt
3 tsp fresh ground black pepper

This and that’s to add to the top…
Sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese
Red onion
Fritos
Hot sauce

Directions:
Season a roast (heavily) with extra virgin olive oil, black pepper and salt. As Paula says, “Rub your Meat.“ Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and coat the skillet with olive oil and 2 tbl butter. Sear the roast on all sides until a crust forms on the skin of the roast. Pour 1/3 cup of Dales in a crock pot and cook the roast until it falls apart! I usually put my crock pot on low and leave it cooking all day (6-8 hours). Once the roast it cooked completely, shred the roast with a knife and a fork and save the liquid in the crock pot.

Using a chili pot, cook the sirloin until browned. Add 1 large diced onion, the red and green peppers, the cumin, oregano, cayenne, chili pepper, salt and pepper. The longer this simmers, the better it tastes. I like to let the meat, vegetables and herbs simmer until they lose their color and become thick. Add the shredded roast meat, Rotel, tomatoes, and the beef stock. I like my chili thin, rather than thick. Depending on your tastes, you can add as much stock as you like.

I like to let this stay on the stove for an hour or two. The longer, the better. Drain the beans and add them to the pot. Give a taste and this is when I add extra spice, if needed. I usually add a little more cumin and hot sauce because we like it hot hot hot!!

Ladle it up in a bowl ( I served it in little frito bags for a tailgate last year) and add whateva toppings you like. I go for the sour cream, jalapenos, red onion, hot sauce and fritos. Not that this chili needs all that, I'm just that kind of girl.

5 comments:

Kim said...

It does look yummy! Isn't it funny how everyone has their own take on chili. In Ky they love to put pasta in their chili and then serve peanut butter sandwiches alongside. I never understood the peanut butter alongside, but I love pasta so I'm okay with that. Sounds like yours is a big hit!

Meals by Misty said...

Peanut Butter and chili?? YIKES! My in laws were telling me how they like rice in their chili. I just like fritos and cheese. We are looking at taking a Kentucky vacay next month. Any suggestions??

Pam said...

Post the recipe - I would love to try it out.

Haven and Home said...

I am drooling on my computer. Your chili looks phenomenal!

Fresh Local and Best said...

This chili recipe looks great, love seeing all those chunks of meat. I like using lots of Cholula too!